On-Demand Program: “Implementing an Evidence-Based, Standardized Post-Op Dressing Protocol to Improve Surgical Outcomes”
- « On-Demand: “Demystifying the Science & Clinical Application of Cleansers With Antimicrobial Preservatives: Differentiating Between Hypochlorous Acid, Hypochlorite & PHMB”
- On-Demand: “Leveraging Evidence, Interdisciplinary Approaches & Material Engineering to Increase Compliance & Obtain Clinical Benefits With Compression Therapy” »
Pfiedler Education* & AORN presents…”Implementing an Evidence-Based, Standardized Post-Op Dressing Protocol to Improve Surgical Outcomes”
Post-operative dressings are a vital part of the healing process to prevent exogenous contamination and potential for infection. Surgical care should include how the operative incision will be protected in the post-op period. Optimizing post-operative dressing change protocols and procedures leads to reduced variation with standardization. This webinar will describe risk factors that lead to surgical site infections, the financial burden as a result of lack of standardization and the importance of establishing a post-operative group to develop dressing protocols and procedures with input from surgeons and other members of the perioperative team.
Learning Objectives | After completing this continuing education activity, the participant should be able to:
- Identify sources of microbial contaminants on skin.
- Demonstrate the burden and cost of SSIs.
- Describe the classifications of SSIs by the CDC.
- Demonstrate the manner in which SSIs are reported to the CDC through the National Health and Safety Network (NHSN).
- Demonstrate the challenges with post-op incisions in the orthopedic population.
- Describe a standardized post-op dressing team in an orthopedic hospital and the dressing procedures that were developed.
Target Audience: This continuing education activity is intended for a perioperative nurse, sterile processing technician, or other healthcare professionals who wants to learn more or needs to gain knowledge, skills, and strategies to decrease the risk of infection by the use of standardized, evidence-based surgical dressing protocols.
Continuing Education: California Board of Registered Nursing. Association of periOperative Registered Nurses is provider-approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP 13019 for 1.0 contact hours. Obtaining full credit for this offering depends upon attendance, regardless of circumstances, from beginning to end. Licensees must provide their license numbers for record-keeping purposes. The certificate of course completion issued at the conclusion of this course must be retained in the participant’s records for at least four (4) years as proof of attendance.
The National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT) has approved this program for 1.0 contact hours.
Questions should be directed to Pfiedler Webinars: email@example.com
*NOTE: This is a contracted supplier and/or industry-sponsored webinar. HealthTrust has not approved and/or endorsed the content. This program may contain the mention of products, services, drugs or brands presented in a case study or comparative format. Such examples are intended for educational and informational purposes and should not be perceived as an endorsement of any particular supplier, product, service, drug, brand or approach.