On-Demand program: “Experience in Adopting the ENFit System to Guard Against Accidental Tubing Misconnections”
An event every month that begins at 12:00 am on day 29 of the month, repeating until February 24, 2023
Avanos & The Institute for Safe Medication Practices (ISMP)* present…On-Demand program: “Experience in Adopting the ENFit System to Guard Against Accidental Tubing Misconnections”
Catheter misconnections involving enteral-to-IV tubing are well documented in the patient safety literature. They often lead to severe consequences for patients and families. Despite the recent adoption of connector design standards for enteral devices (ENFit, a Joint Commission Sentinel event advisory in 2014, and a consortium of manufacturers to support compliance and rapid development of ENFit devices in hospitals and health systems, the U.S. response has been underwhelming at best. Initial adoption delays associated with previously unidentified problems in clinical practice led to the re-engineering of a new low-dose tip ENFit syringe. However, even with these improvements, due to the complexity of the change that is required, a large number of organizations have yet to be fully compliant with this transition—leaving patients in a vulnerable position.
Join ISMP faculty as they review the many challenges associated with wrong route errors, discuss the product design concerns that led to the re-engineering of the new ISO standard and the low-dose tip syringe. Most importantly, they will highlight the patient safety benefits to an ENFit transition. Also, hear directly from an organization who has successfully made the ENFit transition, their practice implications and the lessons learned in the implementation of ENFit-compliant devices to advance patient safety.
Learning Objectives | At the completion of this activity, the participant should be able to:
- Describe the safety challenges associated with wrong route enteral-IV medication errors
- Reflect on the hierarchy of strategies used to support safe enteral administration of medications
- Identify continued opportunities for national improvement towards the prevention of wrong route errors
- Share in first-hand implementation experiences from a healthcare organization’s adoption of ENFit-compliant devices
Target Audience: Nursing, Pharmacists, Pharmacy Technicians, Medication Safety & Patient Safety Officers, Quality & Risk Management Leaders, Hospital & Health System Leadership, Nursing & Pharmacy Managers & Administrators
Continuing Education: CE credit is available for Nursing, Pharmacists & Pharmacy Technicians
Program Release Date: February 24, 2021; Expiration Date: February 24, 2023
Questions should be directed to: ISMP at (215) 947-7797
This activity is supported by an educational grant from Avanos.
* NOTE: This is a supplier & industry resource-sponsored webinar. HealthTrust has not approved and/or endorsed the content. This program may contain the mention of products, services, drugs or brands presented in a case study or comparative format. Such examples are intended for educational and informational purposes and should not be perceived as a HealthTrust endorsement of any particular supplier, product, service, drug, brand or approach.