“Advanced Pulmonary Assessment Use of Capnography and Oximetry: Beyond the Basics”
As part of its Better Outcomes Webinar Series, Saxe Communications & Philips* present...”Advanced Pulmonary Assessment Use of Capnography and Oximetry: Beyond the Basics”
Capnography has the unique ability to aid clinicians in assessing both ventilation and blood flow. Oximetry can identify threats to pulmonary function. In this webinar, a review of the physiology that allows PetCO2 and SpO2 to monitor ventilation, perfusion and lung function is presented. The emphasis in this webinar is using capnography to prevent over-sedation and monitoring of blood flow, while oximetry is used to warn of impending respiratory dysfunction. The use of these two technologies can be argued to be the most important vital signs available to the healthcare professional.
Learning Objectives | After this activity, the participant should be able to:
- Discuss how capnography can reflect a patient at risk for over-sedation
- Discuss how the reason why capnography is a rapid assessment of inadequate ventilation and perfusion
- Describe how oximetry (pulse) is able to identify threats to pulmonary function
- Describe how SpO2 can be used in COVID patients
Presenters: Tom Ahrens, PhD, RN, FAAN | Founder | Viven Health, Inc., and
Michael H. Ackerman DNS, RN, CENP, FCCM, FNAP, FAANP | Professor of Clinical Nursing | The Ohio State University
Continuing Education: Nurses, EMS Professionals & Respiratory Therapists
This program has been approved for 1.0 contact hour. Continuing Respiratory Care Education (CRCE) credit by the American Association of Respiratory Care. This education activity is approved for 1.0 contact hour. Provider approved by California Board of Nursing, Provider # 14477 and the Florida Board of Nursing Provider # 50-17032. This continuing education activity is pending approval by the Commission on Accreditation for Prehospital Continuing Education (CAPCE)
Support for this educational activity from Philips*
* NOTE: This is a supplier and/or industry resource-sponsored webinar. HealthTrust has not approved and/or endorsed the content. This program may contain the mention of products, services, drugs or brands presented in a case study or comparative format. Such examples are intended for educational and informational purposes and should not be perceived as a HealthTrust endorsement of any particular supplier, product, service, drug, brand or approach.